Sunday, October 21, 2007

Granite Gripper

I came home from work one day to find that Luke had entered me into the Granite Gripper, a local climbing competition. The comp is at Enchanted Rock, a park about 1 1/2 hours from here.

We went out this Saturday to compete, and I had a blast! I was climbing with a 9 year old girl who had been climbing twice before. (I've only been climbing for three months, about one day a week.)

We did a few 5.9's and one 5.10, before I got my foot stuck in a crack and tweaked it a little too much. I ended hobbling out, one route shy of making the minimum number of routes required for the comp. The trip out took 1 1/2 hours, the trip in had only taken 30 minutes or so. OWIE!

The 9 year old did one more 5.9 route, and ended up with 2nd place in the women's beginner division. Yay! Though I was one route (about 10 points) shy of getting in my minimum routes required, I wsa only 2 points behind the 3rd place winner. Next year....

And so I'm spending this Sunday with my ankle wrapped up and elevated, sitting around at home. I just finished reading The Sex Lives Of Cannibals , and started reading World Without End. Hopefully my foot feels better by tomorrow, so I can go back to work.

2 comments:

Calvin & Loretta said...

Sex Lives of Cannibals sounds more interesting to me than World Without End. Of course, I've always enjoyed real-life adventures (such as your own) more than fiction.

It feels as if you're on track again. Tell us if your VW will be back on the road. I always enjoy your van work because it combines function and beauty.

Don said...

Reading quickly I thought you were reading "The Sex Lives of Cannabis" LOL And you being such a nice law abiding young woman! Shame on me. Take care.

Don