Thursday, December 18, 2003

I'm home!

I just woke up from a 15 hour nap. My last day at job corps saw me getting 3 hours of sporadic sleep during 38 hours of being awake. I feel much better now. :-)

I'll be home on Christmas break until January 5th. I'm already looking forward to going back! They have me fast6 tracked ... instead of going back into 5 more days of orientation, they're going to let me straight into my vocation. Yippie! They're also pulling some strings to get me into the outdoor recreation dorm the second I step foot back on campus. Everybody else is going to have to move back into the newbie dorm when they get back.

So far I've enjoyed 90% of the Job Corps experience. What I haven't enjoyed is that a lot of the black kids take everything as a racial affront when it's not. There's also a lot of ghetto posturing going on. Being white, I'm now the minority. Being a girl, I'm also outnumbered 3 to 1 by boys.

The outdoor recreation program sounds and looks even better than I originally thought! Us OR's go skiing/snowboarding 3 days a week, kayak, swim, and practice lifeguarding skills in a nearby heated pool, are the ones who get priority over the rock wall and the pool trips, we have to spend 75% of our schooling time on hands-on work, etc etc. Even thought I'm not in OR yet, I've managed to aquire phase 1 and 2 materials. I'm going to do all of the paperwork while I'm home on break. I had bet another OR kid that I could do all of the essays in phase 1 on the weekend. I stopped two short of completing it, because he decided he didn't want to cough up the $20 he bet. :-)


No comments: